Tuesday

Joy of the Journey

Yesterday I did a blog re-run. I didn't have any takers on requests for re-runs, so today I'm just going to steal someone else's blog. This morning I was praying about joy. One time in a Bible class, Rob Marcelain mentioned how more than anything, he wanted his kids to know the joy of living in Christ. That really struck me. Too often we simply muddle through. But life in Christ really is a joy and I have to believe that Christ also loves a good side-aching laugh (he caused my children to believe that burned dog food is baked potato smell -- definitely funny stuff). I think the world isn't beating down our door to get what we (as Christians) have because we fail to remind our attitudes and our faces that it truly is a joyful journey. Mike Cope speaks of this on his blog today. Since I don't trust you to click and travel, I will lift the whole thing:

At our home, we are Shel Silverstein fans. Here's one for today:

I went to find the pot of gold
That's waiting where the rainbow ends.
I searched and searched and searched and searched
And searched and searched, and then--
There it was, deep in the grass,
Under and old and twisty bough.
It's mine, it's mine, it's mine at last. . . .
What do I search for now?

So often we think that there is some great destination that we're waiting for. We find ourselves "killing time" (a horrible phrase) just waiting for that destination. We forget that it's the journey itself that is full of life.

You can't wait for your kids to grow up so you can have a little peace and quiet. There is the joy of the journey.

You can't wait for retirement so you can play golf. There is the joy of the journey.

You can't wait for your church to "do things right" so you can be happy. There is the joy of the journey.

You can't wait for America to get back to the good old days. There is the joy of the journey.

Dorothy, the Tin Man, the Lion, and the Scarecrow are headed to Oz. But the heart, the courage, and the brain they need come from the journey--not from the diminutive wizard behind the curtain.

Bilbo Baggins' walking song has it right:
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

I have my eyes on an incredible destination. But the journey is filled with joy--even in the midst of pain. I don't want to miss that joy!

What's out there on the road for you this day? Don't put off today waiting for Friday. Don't blow off this week waiting for next week or this month waiting for next month or this year waiting for next year. Too many people miss life waiting for something better.

Look out today and smile at THAT spouse, THOSE kids, THAT job, THOSE friends, THAT church, THOSE neighbors.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And the church said "AMEN"! My least favorite expression ever is "kill time". Time is far too precious to kill, or waste, or even to use in pursuit of unimportant things. And having come through some of my health crises, I am more determined than ever to praise God for each day.

Tammy M. said...

I loved Mike's Blog today. I didn't comment on his blog, but now after seeing it twice today I will send an amen to yours.
Thanks for posting. Last thing I want to say is
............xucgzv.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting. . .Tony was just talking about "getting ahead" yesterday as in. . ."Why can we never?" Truck clutch, Honda air compressor, dr. bills, etc.

My philosphy is that we will NEVER "get ahead." We will just journey on. . .dude. (Got a kid in my class that wears hot pink and black Vanns. . .puts me in a Spiccoli frame of mind you know.)

I am just grateful every day that I don't have a seriously ill child, an infection in my brain (that's a new one from your list of websites blog), my husband loves me unconditionally, etc. There is so much to be grateful for. . .and I'm sure (I know) that those with seriously ill children, and the gal with the brain infection find numerous things to be grateful for as well.

And I got to listen to Mike Cope for FOUR YEARS at Harding. :) How cool was that?

R--

p.s. since everyone else seems to be obsessed with the blogger id words as well, mine is "feepga", which puts me in the frame of mind to imagine a very tall, buxom, blond Danish model, "Hello. . .my name is Feepga."