Tuesday

Special Election Day Good Things Out There

Yes, I am weary of it, but it is everywhere: Facebook, Twitter, and pretty much every blog I read. Election, election, election. One thing I am VERY thankful for is that my children are at the ages that they are genuinely interested in this election and how it works. Riley (5th grade) brought home a paper that will allow him to keep track of the states as results are announced. I don't know how late he will be allowed to stay up to fill it in, but I definitely think it's worth a missed hour or two of sleep for the lesson. (Here is a printable page that includes number of electors in each state if you would like your children to color them in -- or, you know, you always can...)

So, since I can barely speak of anything else, I will share with you some of the excellent writing about it in the blog-o-sphere.

Lysa had some good thoughts (after a scary moment).

Beth, as always, keeps us focused.

Rachel has some great things you can do -- next election. Of course, if this drags on like 2000 (heaven forbid!!) you will still have time to work on those crochet candidate finger puppets. And, if you don't have time to crochet, you can always print out these little babies, cut them out, fold them, and have your own debate while you wait for the results. Of course, you may be locked away by the time the results come in...

And while you're crocheting or coloring your map, you can also whip up some Senate Bean Soup: served every day in Senate (I wonder how many senators eat it every day, and if bean soup every day could explain a lot coming from capital hill...?)

Obviously, I should have started looking at this before 3 p.m. There is a whole world of festivity that could be taking place instead of the hand-wringing and bravado that I'm hearing so much. So, have a party!

And listen to this guy:



And, don't forget, as the ever-clever Matt Elliot pointed out: an election is always better than a bloody coup. He does have a point. What a blessing and privilege it is, no matter how it goes!

5 comments:

Roxanne said...

From Victoria:

Thank you. Thank you. Thankyouthankyouthankyou for the electoral map. When Mom showed me what she was going to print out for me, I nearly lost my marbles. I was so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roxanne said...

Oh. My. Goodness. When I read what Riley was doing, I KNEW I had to find a map for Victoria. . .then you had the handy link, and I cannot tell you the excitement that ensued. She is raptly sitting in front of the t.v. with her lap desk and her map and crayons dutifully coloring Kentucky red at this VERY moment.

Anonymous said...

awesome! Z had left his mini-page map he got in school today, and we've been online trying to find it - then here you go and Deliver!

Roxanne said...

I'm voting for Truitt and his bladder. The kids and I had to listen to his pronunciation of "indivisible" several times 'cause it was just so GREAT!!!!

Loved ALL of your links, and I with Matt regarding the lack of a bloody coup. Indeed.

Roxanne said...

Okay. . .I just HAD to come back over here to listen to Truitt say "indivisible." Oh. My. Goodness. That is just the funniest thing ever.