Wednesday

It's Good to be Me

One of the life lessons I am still in the process of learning is that I'm not like anyone else.

I know! As an educator, I can tell you that I have just covered the first 6 weeks Social Studies curriculum for grades K-2. It's not "rocket surgery" (one of my favorite phrases from a previous job). There is only one me, only one set of my fingerprints and DNA. So why do I spend so much time trying to be other people?

I don't think it's a conscious thing, but I look to other people for ideas and inspiration for EVERYTHING: the way I dress, decorate my home, do any job, cook dinner, clean house, you name it. I always think someone else has a better/ smarter/ faster/ cheaper way of doing things. Occasionally they do! But I have come to realize as I am moving along in a different career I am looking to see how others have done it (which can be a good thing), and if I don't "fit" with how a different person has done it, I assume it can't work.

God finally laid this on my heart: "You are you. You are the you I have created you to be. No, you won't do things EXACTLY like that other person because you are not her. Nor are you that other one, or even the one over there. You are you, precious you. Go be you to My glory. I'll take care of the rest of it."

Again, not rocket surgery, but a simple reminder I needed today.

"Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine." Isaiah 43:1

2 comments:

Roxanne said...

See. . .the gems to submit just keep RIGHT ON COMING. . .EGADS, Sarah. This and your list of 39 things are on MY list of stuff you should SEND IN.

Paula said...

I totally agree and need that reminder. BTW, what new career?