Sunday

What Do You Think?

First, I have FINALLY posted my salsa recipe here. Bookmark it!

Troy and I and 7 others from our congregation went to ZOE Texas this weekend. I have so much to say about that, but one particular thought keeps flashing in my brain. Randy Harris was talking about what makes a missional church, a healthy church, a functional church. I think he was talking about that elusive word 'evangelism' (really, I was listening, but I heard a LOT, and a LOT that was good, but a LOT on the same subject -- I don't remember how he got to this point, but I can't forget the point). He finally said, "I know I don't get to go back and do it all again, but if I did -- if I could do it all over again, I would do more with fewer. I would go deeper in with fewer people and hold them accountable. I would invite them to join me on my walk -- going deeper in. Then I would tell them to do that with 4 or 5 other people."

Doing more with fewer. He also pulled out that Jesus spent his energies on 12 -- and still had one betray him. (And, because he is Randy Harris, pointed out a youth minister he knows who claims he must be doing really well since his youth group is down to 12 people and one of them wants to kill him! :-) Certainly not the American way -- we are more prone to do less with more, Super-sizing and bulk-buying our way into uselessness. But I think he may be onto something.

This morning a guest preacher told the story of the book, "Twelve Mighty Orphans". It's more about their coach than the orphans -- a rag-tag team of kids that Rusty Russell trained into a championship football team that never won the championship. As he was unfolding the story, Troy leaned to me and whispered, "He did more with fewer."

More with fewer. What do you think?

6 comments:

Tammy M. said...

I'm with Jesus. Smaller numbers make for more accountability, more insight into the depths of one's soul, more sharing, more transformation, more searching for oneself, not just being fed. Glad you had a good time at Zoe, wish I could have been there too!

Roxanne said...

I am also glad you had a good weekend--and isn't Christ's example ALWAYS the best? Sometimes in our eagerness, we forget the very simple lessons he taught not only in words but with actions.

Anonymous said...

Yes. I agree. In so many ways.

Kelly Sessions said...

Sarah, sounds like a good book...I loved Junction Boys (another one her wrote about the good ol' aggies:)

Also, I have a wonderful recipe for Texas Bean Salsa...

Can corn (drained)
can black beans(drained)
can diced garlic tomatos(drained)
fresh cilantro bout 2 pinches(chopped)
fresh garlic (just a little)
1/3 of a red onion sliced (large onion)
2 large avacado' sliced in chunks
**Mix all veggies together in big bowl****

teaspoon evoo
1/2 teaspoon vinegar
1/2 teaspoon lime juice
(i like to just mix this together to your personal preference)
salt and pepper to taste


pour over veggies and mix and enjoy with chips, or over chicken! :)

Paula said...

Wish we could have joined you at ZOE. We went in Nashville a few year ago and it was great. By the way the book you referenced is really good. I read it last year and loved it.

Jana said...

More with fewer . . .

I have been thinking about this for several days. I have some friends very involved with YouthWave, a para-church group whose premise is simply that--to teach high school kids to evangelize friends at school, praying for and teaching and living alongside that friend for years and years.

I've been thinking about how that would impact our church programs. How, for instance, that might impact something like VBS.

What direct and immediate implications did this message have for you? In other words, beyond the message itself, what are you thinking about? I'd like to hear your thoughts/ideas.

Blessings, Sarah.
Jana