Sunday

Sunday Thoughts

  • A former elder in our church, Mr. Manly, was having a landmark birthday and the entire congregation was invited to celebrate with him. I thought nothing of it, but Ashley found it HILARIOUS that an entry in the church calendar read: "Manly Birthday Party".
  • My take-home quote for the day: "Holiness is more important than happiness."
  • I went shopping this afternoon for a new top for Ashley to wear to church. I tried to find some balance between, "My mother is an old woman and shops for me" and "I'm even sluttier than I dress". Evidently, there is no middle ground.
  • Don't even get me started on trying to shop for pajamas for boys that don't advertise either a superhero or moronic sea creature.
  • Why does Old Navy have swimsuits out, but winter stuff isn't on sale?
  • I can't imagine a social or seasonal occasion that low-rise tweed shorts with less than a half-inch inseam would be called for.

I leave you with a Riley observation:

My children don't run fever. They get sick, but they RARELY run fever. Riley generally gets the flu -- he's due in about 3 weeks -- and will run pretty high fever then. Other than that, we're not real big in the fever deparatment. Riley has now determined, however, that if he feels the least bit unwell, he should take his temperature and determine exactly HOW sick he is. I guess I should give in to this, since his temperature of 97.8 would validify my stance that he isn't sick at all.

Tonight, as I lay with him in bed, he said, "My stomach doesn't feel very well. Can I go take my temperature?"

"No, why don't you just go on to sleep and see how you feel in the morning?"

"If my stomach still hurts in the morning, can I take my temperature?"

"If your stomach still hurts in the morning, what will I tell you?"

"To drink some water... (shaking his head) I know you too well."

"My friends think I'm a mean mommy (for telling my potentially sick kid to just drink water)."

"I think you just don't know where the thermometer is."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are all about the super hero at our house, however, if Riley does not prescribe to that genre, might I suggest orientaltrading.com--no lie. THey have boys' pajama sets on sale for $7.99--we already own the shark hunter set--very comfy and soft--Thad love's 'em. I got him the surfboard set for this summer. Short sleeved top, long pants, good bargain, no superheroes, sizes up to 14.

Ashleigh Baker said...

Lol... I don't think you're a mean mommy. You know the very same thing would be said in our house. ;)

As for shopping for girls... I feel for both of you. :grin: It was NO fun being the daughter, but I'm really, really not looking forward to being the mother.

Robyn said...

We have switched from PJs to the Jersey or Hanes shirts and shorts from Walmart or Target. They are much cheaper and very comfy!

AbbieCRAZY said...

Yeah, we've stopped wearing matching pjs, too. I made one pair of pants, bought one (on sale) at Old Navy, and Mimi got one pair at an outlet. Whichever T-shirt he feels like wearing goes with it.

Just boxers in the summer. Of course, he won't sleep over at anyone else's house so you'll never see them.... He's so weird sometimes.

AbbieCRAZY said...

Yeah, we've stopped wearing matching pjs, too. I made one pair of pants, bought one (on sale) at Old Navy, and Mimi got one pair at an outlet. Whichever T-shirt he feels like wearing goes with it.

Just boxers in the summer. Of course, he won't sleep over at anyone else's house so you'll never see them.... He's so weird sometimes.

Jessica said...

In my house the last bit might be true...

Robin said...

You are NOT a mean mommy and you will have a much happier child later in life. I threw a tylenol at every thing! Oh how I wish it had been a water bottle instead.

Oh, I have a 17 year old daughter and my favorite line when it comes to clothes is "ask your dad". He and I don't always agree but it sure gets the monkey off my back.