Thursday

The Power Of One, Pt. 3

I think this is my favorite character in my "Power of One" topic. I think because I'm figuring out that the "Power of One" doesn't refer to the one person -- it refers to the One God who works through ANY one person. Not you? Well, if God will choose to work through THIS woman, I feel certain He will choose to work through any of us.

We would all call this woman "a loser". That's about as nice as any of us could be -- bless her heart! Sure she had a rotten childhood, but now that she's grown up can't she get her act together, for pity's sake? Now she's been married AND DIVORCED five times. I guess we have to appreciate that she won't even try to make a mockery out of the wedding vows a sixth time since she's living with that guy. Not that any of us have really tried. She's the butt of a lot of jokes in town, and we sure don't want our husbands glancing in her direction.

She's figured out that she's an outcast. It doesn't take a genius to know that no fine, upstanding women would be seen in her acquaintance. And so it was the day she was at the well mid-afternoon when Jesus asked her for a drink. Interesting that he stopped at Jacob's well. Jacob, the one faithful to God that I wrote about earlier. So now, generations later, Jesus strikes up a conversation with her. We don't even know her name.

Jesus knew. He knew all about her life -- and he loved her. She tried so hard to change the subject and argue religion. Jesus would have none of it. Finally, she realized who she was talking to. Knowing Jesus changed her life. And she couldn't help but tell about it. She dropped everything and ran.

Who would you pick to be a missionary to a region that had never met Christ? Would it be her? That's who God used. . .

"Many of the Samaritans from that town believed in him because of the woman's testimony, 'He told me everything I ever did.'" John 4:39

No comments: