Sunday

Favorite Quotes

I'm wiped out. VBS started tonight. I didn't lead little robe-clad children, or even teach them how to make a broom using hay, a dowel, and some string. My job this year was VBS data-entry. I really do enjoy that type work, but I did learn a lesson that can be summed up as: Quattro Pro (database software included in word perfect office) is the spawn of Satan and evil, evil, evil. Microsoft Excel IS indeed excel, as in EXCELlent!! Suffice it to say that I have put all 180 VBS registrants into tribes and in a database twice now. And, I have learned from Donnie Carroll -- you can try, but you can't make everybody happy, and "life goes on." That's why he's qualified to have 7 kids and I'm not (yes, he does -- ages 6 to 24, I believe).

Am I the only one that thinks in sound-bites? I doubt it, because as I rattle off a quote from a movie (from MY era -- Sixteen Candles, Ferris Bueller's, Breakfast Club) someone invariably knows another quote from the same movie (in Abilene that someone is generally Denise -- no wonder you don't remember things that happen in life; your brain is too full of movie quotes and music lyrics!) I've thought about some of my favorites and collected a few of them here. Some of the language isn't what I use on a regular basis -- but I think that's why it appeals to me. It's my altar-ego, in quote form.

This week at one of my girls' night out, we got on a roll about our favorite 'Steel Magnolias' quote. I was raised in North Louisiana, and every character in 'Steel Magnolias' is either me, or someone I know, or a combination of the two. There are two quotes that I think about quite frequently:

"Drum Eatenton, you are a boil on the butt of humanity!" (Ouiser)

"Maybe she's praying because we were gossiping, maybe she's praying because the elastic is shot in her pantyhose." (Truvy, about Annelle)


And there are several others that I use on occasion:

"I am PLEASANT! Damn it!" (Ouiser)

"I'm not crazy, I've just been in a very bad mood for the last 40 years!" (Ouiser)

"He's so confused he doesn't know whether to scratch his watch or wind his butt." (Truvy)

"The only thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize." (Clairee)


Tammy brought up another one I had forgotten:

"Oh, Ouiser, ya know I love ya more than my luggage." (Clairee)


I found lots more -- and laughed out loud all over again -- at this website.

Another quote that I have enjoyed lately is from Gwyneth Paltrow, who I still know little enough about to consider beautiful on the inside and outside (I'm sure there's some dirt out there to tell me otherwise, but don't tell me, okay?) She says:

"Beauty, to me, is about being comfortable in your own skin. That, or a kick-ass red lipstick."

Lately I feel comfortable in my own skin AND I've gotten a (well, you know) red lipstick. I must have it goin' on! :-)

Besides scripture, what quotes roll around in your head?

3 comments:

Tammy M. said...

I didn't know I could have so much fun, all the journeys navigated through together in the last year and I didn't know that we could all quote the entire movie of Steel Magnolias. Now I know God has put me with a group of women who are perfect for me.

Anonymous said...

You forgot two of my favorites- yes, I have favorites after having had to sit through this film about a dozen times...

"Looks like two pigs fightin' under a blanket". -Clairee

-and-

"That is one fine animal, Ouiser, if I had my felt pen I could connect the dots on that dog's behind." ---Drum to Ouiser
"Steel Magnolias"
Others-----

"Miss Daisy, I's a grown man- I think I knows when I has to make water." ---Morgan Freeman to Jessica Tandy's character in "Driving Miss Daisy"

"Hey Goose- you big stud- take me to bed or lose me forever!"
---Meg Ryan to Anthony Michael Hall in "TOPGUN"

"Show me the way home, honey!"
---Goose's reply (AMH)/"TOPGUN"

"Did you swallow a sneaker, what is all this?" "Maybe there's some industrial use for this sort of lubricant". --Tom Hanks to Hootch the Dog in "Turner & Hootch"

"...and that's all I'm gonna say about that". ---Tom Hanks in "Forrest Gump"

-Troy S.

Anonymous said...

Well, I feel a little bit of a challenge here. The truth is - I have no orginal thoughts - every thing is from some other media source. So it should be easy to come up with a quote...

Just fix it like a brown football helmet.
---Shelby commenting on MLynn's hair
This is always what I fear my hair looks like

I just bought them out of baby Jesuses.
---Annelle
This is just funny

We go together like peas and carrots.
---Forrest Gump
Jim and I had this on our wedding progam and it's just funny, too.

Talk to me later and I'm sure I'll think of something else

Denise