Wednesday

Hello? Is Anybody In There?

Where have I been? I have no idea. And, I have virtually nothing to say, so why am I even back? I'm chock full-o-questions -- no answers.

Remember the movie "The Money Pit"? It's no wonder that movie called to me long before I owned a home, since I've spent most of my adult life re-living some version of it. However, my favorite line from it comes when Shelly Long's character is rushing into orchestra rehearsal. The lady in the chair next to her, with a very proper British accent, is apalled:

"Where have you been? You were almost late!!"

To which Shelley Long repeats a phrase I have used to my husband on more than one occasion: "In this country we have an expression for almost late. We call it "on time."

Troy lives by the philosophy, "If you're early, you're on time; if you're on time, you're late." I live by the philosophy, "I'm here, aren't I?" It has taken some years to reach a happy medium about such. Thankfully, however, our children seem to have inherited their father's sense of punctuality. They're doing a great job of getting themselves to school on time so far.

Not only do Kendra and I share a classroom and all those kids, but our oldest children both started middle school this year. Kendra was asking me how it was going for Ashley and commented that the most interesting story she has heard from middle school has been the kid who got in a fight and then ran away from the teachers and climbed a tree. I figured surely Ashley had missed this excitement at middle school since I hadn't heard anything about it. So, I asked Ashley about "climb-a-tree" boy and she said, "Yeah, I saw it. I told you about it, but you were being 'supermom'."

"What does THAT mean?"

"You were doing 12 different things and weren't really listening."

Obviously, the label of 'supermom' combined with "you weren't listening to me" is my proudest moment as a mother. Really.

I'm hoping to post pictures of what happens when you force an intelligent child to step away from all electronic devices with screens and they find an extra stash of pencils and mix in some army men with their pencil-town-landscape. You, too, should force your child to turn off all electronic devices with screens and see what they come up with. You'll be amazed.

12 comments:

Tammy M. said...

Sounds like middle school has got it's fair share of excitement.

Roxanne said...

Yes. Well, I learned a valuable thing at my early inservice. . .there are two views of time. MONOchromatic time and POLYchromatic time. Monochromatic people have no buffer whatsoever. You are there early or you are late. If you are to be somewhere at 8:00 and you arrive at 8:00 you are late. Polychromatic people have a 7 minute buffer. . .3.5 minutes before or 3.5 minutes after and you're still on time.

Tony and I land the SAME way you and Troy do, which is why when we arrive at church at 8:58, and class begins at 9:00, Tony fusses that we are ALWAYS late to class.

Hmmmmmmm. . .

No one has climbed a tree at MY middle school, however I DID announce today to my 8th grade girls that I don't wanna see their boobs anymore. . .I don't wanna see the tops of their boobs, or the cleavage of their boobs, or the bone between their boobs, or the baby blue bra that is doing an insufficient job of covering their boobs. The only boobs I want to see are ones that are substantially covered by material--preferably something through which I cannot see either. And yes, I used the words boobs and if any parent complains, then I will ask them why they allow their daughters to wear clothing that exposes the tops of their BREASTS.

Anonymous said...

You do realize that you and Troy are a perfect reflection of your mother and me. I like getting to church about the same time as the custodian is unlocking the building. Your mother, by contrast, is ok with being early but would just as soon have someone to visit with other than myself.

And hooray for Roxanne's attempt to inject a bit of decorum into the classroom! What is up with all the skin in my face these days? And after you get the boobage issue solved, will you please attack the plumber's-crack eyesore? There may be a female on this planet who can claim that as her best feature, but she definitely doesn't inhabit this hemisphere.

Anonymous said...

Time? What is Time? I love this clock. Love. I want one.

http://www.uncommongoods.com/item/item.jsp?itemId=13339&gclid=CJe2h-KYr44CFRUHWAodsmfYZg

Yay! Whatever! Raspberries to all the unbeffered momochromads out there. Love ya' but only within a 7 minute buffer :)

Cindy Swanson said...

What a terrific blog! I found you through Roxanne, who I found through 2nd Cup of Coffee. :)

I'll definitely be back.

Troy M. Stirman said...

Roxanne- thanks for the laugh today!

Who knew you were so good at making up words to fit your explanation- "poly/monochromatic". Perhaps you should visit Mr. Webster like I did. What you described were colors or hues, not time....but I laughed out loud anyway. You and I are a lot alike - we may be wrong - but we are definitely ardent in our pursuit of idyllic logomachy, but I digress into unsuitable logorrhea...

-TMS

Anonymous said...

Roxanne, I knew your words referred to colors and hues, but since I understand Roxannese I knew what you were saying had to do with time, or to join the Club-o-Pedantics, chronos.


:)

Roxanne said...

ACTUALLY. . .the terms I used I had only heard refer to colors UNTIL this worshop when Workshop Dude Man told us that they also (now) refer to the way people view time.

Whodduh thunk it.

Sarah said...

Because Workshop Dude Man said it was so. Roxanne, let's you and I travel the countryside telling people about verbing words and such and using made-up lingo for our diatribe. I knew, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that Workshop Dude man had made up those connotations. I do think it has to do with viewing the world black/ white or all full of colors, like us polychromes!

AbbieCRAZY said...

The only problem with the 3.5 window is your pew is gone!! Haven't you late people noticed this?! I also like to think of it as airing on the side of caution - what if your favorite seat in the theatre is gone? What if all the Poppy-Seed Chicken is gone? Or the rice? (as on Wed night) Or the rolls? (as Kenny noted on Wed night)

One more thing - Workshop Dudes make money coming up with something new and then yada, yada, yadaing it to teachers on a Workday.

Roxanne said...

We always get out pew because we're there for class. . .which precedes church. . .so as soon as class is over, I go plunk our stuff down on our pew. It is especially helpful now that the children are old enough to bring themselves to the pew rather than having to be retrieved. As far as class goes, we normally sit up front, so we STILL get to sit up front when we are "late" 'cause no one else wants to sit there. :)

Sarah said...

I'm with Roxanne -- even when church is first, your pew is still there if it is in the front. And if my pew isn't there -- I get to meet other people, and my "usual peeps" let me know they missed me! It's community!