Thursday

So.....?

I've never revisited my "Is self pity a sin?" blog. Great thoughts and comments all the way around. I did notice that I don't think anyone came out and said, "Yes, it's a sin." But I do. My friend and I decided that self-pity -- like any other 'self-anything' -- is a form of idolatry. Even if it's hating your place in life, your circumstances, your situation, to spend your energy on being sad for yourself about it is allowing yourself, your circumstances and your situation to become more important than the One who created yourself, your circumstances and your situation.

We also discussed that it goes against Paul's admonition to "give thanks in all circumstances", and we can all debate whether or not Paul's directions to the Thessalonians is a direction for us and whether or not it's a sin to NOT do that (careful -- he also tells us to 'be joyful always' in the same sentence)! Just thoughts.

As far as the "fleeting thoughts" that come in and out: first, I whole-heartedly agree that God understands when we do question our place in life. He listened to quite a bit of moaning from Job before he finally said, (my paraphrase): "Listen up! If you know the way things should go, then lay it on me!" Or, more accurately:

Brace yourself like a man; I will question you, and you shall answer me. "Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation? Tell me, if you understand. Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know! Who stretched a measuring line across it? Job 38:3-5

That brings me to one of my all-time favorite phrases, that my friend, Beverly, said many years ago. "You must prepare in the light for when the darkness comes." Which always makes me think of a story from even MORE years ago:

My mom taught college, and through the years had her share of "non-traditional" aged college students: older students juggling family, marriage, and sometimes other jobs. One such lady got a call from the babysitter while she was in class: she couldn't get the baby to wake up and was taking her to 'xyz' hospital, that, as I remember it, was quite a few miles away from the college. By the time the young mother walked into the hospital, the doctors could tell her that, they were very sorry, but the baby had likely died of SIDS long before she even got to the hospital. What would her reaction be? The dramatic screaming of "no, no, no" that we would imagine? The "not my baby" indignation? Nope.

Her FIRST words upon hearing about the death of her baby were, "Jesus, I trust you." This happened while I was in high school, well over 20 years ago, and it obviously made a huge impression on me. We are sponges. What will come out when you are pressed from every side? Well, what you have put in will come out. Faith, hope, and trust in his word will ooze from your pores in a time of crisis if you have poured those things into your soul before the crisis. Prepare in the light for when the darkness comes.

The above is entirely Sarah's opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it.

4 comments:

Terral said...

Amen Sister Sarah!

JD said...

Sarah, I think these are great thoughts ... especially the 'sponge' word picture ... very vivid.

I enjoyed meeting your mom and dad a few weeks ago and look forward to getting to know them better in the future.

AbbieCRAZY said...

Well, I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings - so I didn't comment last time. You said it so much better than me - putting ourselves before God is sin. Even if that sounds very incorrect.


Even asking about "sin" can get us both in trouble....

mad4books said...

I'm with jd...the sponge illustration is dead-on and worth more than what I paid for it!

Thank you also for sharing that touching story of the mother who lost her baby, but not her faith...what a testimony!...and not just to you, but to people who are reading your thoughts twenty years later.