Thursday

Politics in Room 24

Social Studies today was about state government, a phrase that makes me, a slightly interested citizen, yawn in boredom. Eight year olds are no different.

"Does anyone have ANY idea who the governor is right now?"

Several honest people said, "No."

"Would anyone like to even GUESS who the governor might be?"

One raised her hand, "Norm Archibald?"

"He's our mayor, but that was a very good guess. Does anyone have a different guess?"

(different kid) "George Washington?"

(at this point I realize we are completely clueless AND they told me upfront they had no idea. However, I'm also realizing this is golden blog material, so I continue)

"He was a president, but he is no longer alive. Anyone else?"

(another different kid): "George Washington's son?"

"Also dead."

(same kid): "George Clooney?"

"The governor of Texas -- anyone?"

(same kid): "I used to live in Texas!"

"You still do, sweety. Governor of Texas?"

(different kid) "George W. Bush?"

Now that we have left Hollywood and are at least back in the political arena, I feel that I am ending on a high note, so I let them know:

"The Governor of Texas is Rick Perry."

Completely blank looks. Rick has great hair, but he needs better PR with the elementary crowd.

4 comments:

Roxanne said...

I'm thinkin' Rick needs better PR in the education arena period. :)

Anonymous said...

I think he needs better PR with everyone. The man got elected with 35% of the vote -- not something to be proud of. But he does have good hair and everyone needs a legacy! :)

Anonymous said...

Don't feel bad for them - if you've ever watched Jay Leno's "Jay Walking" where he asks people on the street equally easy questions about national and world affairs, you have seen that adults are equally ignorant. Now THAT'S scary.

AbbieCRAZY said...

This man leaves me totally uninspired. Ann Richards was a Democrat but at least she was interesting - and I was in Alabama then!