Monday

Coffee Group Takes a Village

This weekend I had the privilege of traveling with my friends to go share God’s story, some of what He has done in my life, and share His word. I love it dearly. It is SO stinkin’ hard to get out of town, but it is always great to be around women who are happy to be filled with a little more of His word, His hope, His love. While I certainly don’t consider it a “glam” ministry, people seem to assign a certain amount of prestige to a speaker –way more than we are entitled to, since I pretty much consider myself ‘0’ on the prestigious scale! People are open to us and tell us their hurts and their victories, they ask us questions about scripture and life situations and expect us to have a coherent answer. God blesses us again and again with new relationships and glimpses into God’s healing and mighty works. Again and again I am brought to my knees in amazement of what He’s doing in lives. I can’t believe that I am so blessed to be able to be a witness to His work so many different places.

Before I left, and again on my way home, in my prayers for our trip, I began praying over the long list of people that were making it possible for me to go and do what I do. Our family had a typical weekend of 27 million things to do between sports, social, and church activities. Troy gladly took it on and got everyone where they were supposed to be. The kids happily adjusted and worked around a few inconveniences. Even Donna’s daughter, Megan, was on “stand-by” for my family to help with transportation for us. Interpreters at church stepped up and filled in holes when they hit snags. Kendra planned long ago to work several Fridays in a row so that I could leave town on Friday. In other families, husbands, grandparents, children, and in-laws all filled holes and made things work in our absence. Friends covered church responsibilities and ministry needs. I began tallying up the small village of workers whose service to the Lord for the weekend included going out of their way so that the four of us could get out of town. And again I was overwhelmed.

So to all the daddies, children, grandparents, and friends: thank you so much. You willingly gave up your time so that we could see God at work. You were a precious behind-the-scenes servant who blessed each of us by your service. I pray that He blesses each of you, and that you are able to see Him at work, as well.

2 comments:

Tammy M. said...

That is so very true. Thanks to the small village it took for me to get out of town.

AbbieCRAZY said...

Oh, yes! Thanks to my in-laws especially! They took care of my children and gave them a good time to boot!