Wednesday

Riley-isms

Riley, as usual, is keeping us in stitches this summer.

Last week when Ashley was at camp and Troy was out of town it was SO hot in his room. He has a corner room and windows on 2 walls and it stays pretty warm in there. So we hunted down a fan for his room and got it pointed at his bed. As I was tucking him in, I realized he had an extra pillow.

"Riley, why do you have Ashley's pillow?"

Reminding me of his daddy, he very methodically continued to "foof" his pillows just right, get his head nestled into them, pull up the covers, and lace his fingers across his chest before he replied:

"Why I Have Ashley's Pillow. by Riley Stirman. I was hot. I got Ashley's pillow, and now I can feel the air from the fan. The end."

It's not every night you get an oral report in answer to your question!

Later in the week I was indulging in watching the Gilmore Girls while Riley was finishing up a snack. A lady was on that is a semi-regular that I think they were trying to portray as having money, but no class (Mrs. Huntzberger). They had hoisted up her very ample bosom and plunged her neckline to a ridiculous level. I was watching the show and had this train of thought:
"Has she ALWAYS had a chest like that? Wow. That is one enormous chest. Oh, darn it! Now I've missed everything she just said thinking about another woman's chest!!"

Riley pipes up and says:
"I hate it when women wear dresses where you can see their (gesturing to his upper chest region). . . upper. . . you know!"

"Me, too, Riley. I don't want to see THAT."

(Continuing to stare at the screen) "It's like. . . I can't even take my eyes off of it!"

Bless him -- he's not even to the hormones yet. And before you write to me griping that I would allow my child to see such on TV, let me just point out that he saw no more or less than he is usually confronted with when he comes down the hall at church to the Bible class for college kids that Troy and I help in. So, gals, if your cleavage is driving an 8 year-old to distraction, imagine what it does for the poor 19 year-old that is TRYING to worship while your chest is about to spill out of your top (or your thong panties are floating above your pants/ skirt waistline). August and September are always particularly awful while the new girls are (un)dressing to impress. I spend a lot of time meditating on this verse:

Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a beautiful woman who shows no discretion.
Proverbs 11:22

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for shedding light upon a subject about which very few folks appear to have the nerve to discuss.
Another area most women would be unaware of is the eyefulls offered up to the men who serve communion. Here we are, taking part in the centerpiece of our worship, and we are seeing acres of flesh.
It's shameful what parents let their daughters wear/expose.

Tammy M. said...

Insightful indeed. Riley definately is never lost for a good one liner, or two, or three...

Roxanne said...

Some Sunday mornings I am just AGHAST at what I see. . .and if it's not too low it's too tight or too high. EGADS, people. The word "modest" is already used around Victoria regularly. The other day she pointed to some girl on t.v. and said, "That is not a very modest dress." Hallelujah!!!!

Ginger said...

I SO agree with your thoughts about young girls and their [lack of] discretion about dress. And unfortunately, I remember too well how naive I was at that age.

I'm always glad, at our Christian college, when cold weather comes and they have to cover up.

Anne said...

Love him! Funny, Funny kiddo! :)

I am so glad you have gotten all this one-on-one time with your kids these last couple of weeks! What a blessing...one that I never fully realized until about 3 months ago.

And don't even get me started on the inappropriate dress for church, the supermarket, the library...I could go on and on! I don't want to see it people!!

Anne said...

By the way...AMAZING and touching story on Heartlight today! Thanks for speaking to my heart right now!

Jessica said...

Amen! I already fight with my girls about appropriate wear to church... I will use Riley as an example of how it distracts!

boomama said...

Amen to what you said at the end of this post. I am, for lack of a better word, INCREDULOUS at what some people wear to church. Oh my lands. Ridiculous.

And that Riley? HYSTERICAL. I love any child who puts the answer to a simple question in essay form. :-)

Susanne said...

Riley sounds like a hoot to be around 24 - 7!

And I agree with you totally on dress. My thoughts tend to go to why don't the parents step in with what's appropriate to wear to church? Sad, really.

Heather said...

The topic of modesty within the Chistian community is growing. It helps that people like Elisabeth Elliot and Nancy Leigh DeMoss have brought the topic to the forefront. Revive our Hearts has an excellent series on this topic.

Ashleigh Baker said...

It is so true... we need to be so careful and mindful, not just at church, but always, not to be a stumbling block by the way we dress. As women, we just don't "get" it.

As a side note, I had to laugh reading through your blog-- my name is Ashleigh, my son's name is Troy, and just two days ago I was talking to my husband about naming our next son (whenever that is!) Riley. :)

Lori said...

It is amazing what some people will wear to church, or anywhere! Jesus cries.

Great post!