Tuesday

Love/Hate Relationship

The title is a fallacy b/c there is nothing about my husband that I hate (okay, trimming the moustache hairs over the sink comes REAL close) but the very thing I love about him is one of the things that drives me the nuttiest. The man is slow and deliberate. I don't mean his speed of walking or moving, I mean his decision-making skills.

Last week I called him to tell him that a certain family point-of-discussion needed to be discussed when I came home from VBS with the kids. "Okay", he said, we hung up. I couldn't stand it and immediately called him back: "So what ARE you thinking about it?" "Well," he replied, ever slow and methodical, "I had just started to formulate a thought when the phone rang again."

This is how it goes at our house. I have made a decision, formulated my reasoning (rationalization), acted on it, and, frequently, had to go back and apologize to someone for acting in haste while Troy is still weighing the pros and cons of the decision. Troy and I do not argue. Not because we never disagree and not because I haven't given it a valiant effort, but because Troy is still formulating his stance on something and/or weighing the repurcussions of his words before he speaks. I hate that. And I love it. More than anything, I wish I could do it.

Just another example of our little puzzle of a marriage that seems to fit together quite nicely.

6 comments:

Ginger said...

Oh my. That sounds so, so familiar!

Roxanne said...

I normally have to schedule an appointment sometime in the future so that Tony is fully prepared for any discussion of consequence we need to have. Oh my.

R--

LOVED. . ."Well, I was beginning to formulate a thought when the phone rang again."

David Scott said...

Hold on while I think of something to type.

Keep holding.....

Jessica said...

My hubby is much the same way... and it DRIVES ME BATTY! I keep thinking I will get used to it... but it hasn't happened yet!

Anne said...

Nathaniel fits into that mold also...I have often wondered if it was one of God's subtle ways of trying to teach me patience. I think the worst has to be when, after waiting for his well-thought through opinions, he doesn't really seem convicted one way or the other...just really like the final answer doesn't matter. Why in the world did it take so long for him to get to that answer?!?!? Love that he cares to put in some thought (especially about the biggies), and hate that his time for thinking seems to much longer than mine! Maybe I should think about that:)

Terri B. said...

Yes. Very familiar. After 25 years of marriage (today) I realize that he is thinking rather than ignoring me. Does he also seem to be unable to multi-task too? My dear hubs can really only seem to focus on one thing at a time ... but he does that one thing very well!