Saturday

Saturday, June 4

"The secret to loving is living loved."

Max Lucado
A Love Worth Giving

I love this quote. It pretty much sums up what I've learned the hard way the last few years and why I'm probably not currently the most loving person on the planet. It goes with an analogy I read in the book "Tender Mercy for a Mother's Soul" by Angela Thomas Guffey. She talks of learning that as we let God's love fill us, that love can't help but splash and overflow on our families and the people around us. The secret is filling your cup first -- with His love. That's where I'm failing miserably lately. I'm trying to overflow love and peace from an empty cup -- which results in overflowing grouchiness and weariness. That's the hardest part, isn't it? All of my intuition is telling me to keep going, try harder, love harder, work more. The reality is that I need to STOP! Stop and be still. Be still and know. It's completely counter-intuitive (I love that phrase). Gwen Shamblin of "Weigh Down" calls it God's "Opposite World" -- and the first shall be last, etc. Opposite World, indeed, to stop and know His love when I don't feel that I have a molecule of love in me. I found a good spot to start, though -- I knew I HAD to get into His Word to know His love (just call me Captain Obvious). Always love the Psalms and read some of those, then headed to Ephesians. Oh, lots of proclamations of His love there!
1:5 In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with His pleasure and will.

God wanted me all along! He knows I'm grouchy and not loving, but He still wanted me from the beginning!

Paul prays for ME (or I like to think so, anyway) that (1:18,19) the "eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and his incomparably great power for us who believe."

And amen and amen! I get to share in a wonderful inheritance -- it's mine for the taking! Glory!

I'll quit preaching for now. (but only for the moment). This all reminds me of something everyone should read, mentioned previously: "Tender Mercy for a Mother's Soul" by Angela Thomas Guffy. I found her website here AND I know what you're thinking -- and it is NOT a 'fluff' book NOR a guilt book. Her write-up about it on her website says it talks about "soul care" (what I was alluding to above). As caregivers, we MUST be sure our soul is filled so that we may overflow with His love! It spoke to me, and if I had any idea who has my copy, I would read it again!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sarah -
Thanks for your wonderful words. Fill that cup with God's words, prayer and meditation on Him. I know that you work on that each day, but sometimes that harried life that happens takes over and we just hold on to the coat tails. God bless you and I hope that this summer fills you with rest, relaxation and plenty of the living water from the Holy Spirit.
Tammy M