Monday

Good Reads

June is coming to an end so summer is well underway. I have made quite a dent in my summer reading list, but with so much left to read! But I'll give you a brief review of what I've read so far. I'm debating on giving grades, or stars. I don't think that I can -- I have read such an eclectic mix of things that you can hardly compare one to the other.


The Lovely Bones
by Alice Sebold. I mentioned this earlier. A very dark novel, with a realistic look at what happens to a family after they experience a tragedy.

gods in Alabama by Joshilyn Jackson. One woman's journey home for the first time in years, facing all of the ghosts there. Again -- a little dark, and fairly realistic.

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. Hard to describe. A woman accidentally 'falls' into 1743 from 1943. Initially about her struggle to get back to 1943, then her struggle about whether or not she WANTS to go back (can you say, 'indoor plumbing'? no question for Sarah!). A good book, but a detailed diary of almost a year of her life. Almost 700 pages. Carve out several weeks for it. It's the first in a series, I plan to tackle the others after I read a few more other things.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling (duh!) For Harry Potter novices like myself, it's the first in this series, also. I drug myself to it kicking and screaming, insisting I don't like fantasy fiction. I have enjoyed it far more than I expected to and will finish this series, also (I'm #63 on the list of 'holds' for the new one coming out in July -- I should get it around November!)

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd. See previous post. Starts off a little dark. You know, I guess as I quit reading Danielle Steele and other fluff, I have to grow up into realistic fiction. And pardon me for pointing out, but real life can be a real downer. This is set in the '60's in South Carolina and a white girl and her black housekeeper run away together. Great book, and should be read slowly and savored, not gobbled up as I tend to do.

Those are the ones I have finished, and have so many more that I can't wait to get to. I'm currently working on "Traveling Mercies" by Anne Lamott and so far it causes me to realize that when God knows that someone can be powerful for His Kingdom, He will pursue them relentlessly. Considering how she grew up, there is no reason for her to be a Christian -- other than the fact that God was pursuing her. I'm enjoying it so far -- to experience a faith awakening in someone who grew up the polar opposite of the family I grew up in.

Side note: Does anyone have any encouragement that my daughter will grow out of this severe 'tomboy' stage? I'm trying to be patient, but the latest fascination is to see who she can convince that she is a boy.

And the news from the home front is that Riley is trying to kill a roach that found it's way into my bathtub with my bath pillow. I'm sure the thought of that will cause me to have a most relaxing bath later.

No comments: