Tuesday

*sigh*

The sigh of the heavy-hearted. Heavy hearted I am. My coffee group just returned from an amazing trip to Alabama, photos -- albeit a little fishy -- here. Our plane landed at about 11 a.m. and pretty much as soon as I could turn my phone on (to take this picture of the back of Kris Kristofferson in the Birmingham airport) I got a text from Troy with some fairly annoying news for us. Then, later in the day, at Denise's parents for dinner, Roxanne called to tell me that her dad had passed away that evening. I'm debating about whether I will continue taking my cell phone while I travel. But we did relay the story of his Sunday leg to her parents. What guy.

The funeral was today. I still can't believe I'm not there. I'm supposed to be there. Roxanne is the closest thing I have to a sister, and her dad is gone. He has circled up with his own mom, as well as a host of others. He has two healthy legs now. He has received the ultimate healing. I'm so thankful for him, and so sad for her and her family.

As I try to console myself, I realize that, really, for most of the unscheduled big things in our lives, Roxanne and I have been there for precious little of it for each other. Yet we're there. We stood next to each other through both of our weddings -- me beating her down the aisle by a few months only meant I had to be labeled a 'matron' at her wedding, which I did NOT appreciate. But since then the big milestones have been 'caught up on' with email and phone calls. And this will be no different.

The funeral is there, 500 miles away, and I am here, juggling too many mom/teacher/wife/church-type-folk obligations to break free. I picked up the phone to call her 4 different times yesterday, but my throat tightened too much to speak and my tears blurred the phone to dial. I know I can't DO anything being there, but I need to help her cry. Evidently, I'm doing that from here.

On a far happier note, I actually won a prize-type-thing from Antique Mommy. Who knew, but chocolate is included in the prize, and I think it goes without saying that I could use some chocolate right about now. And that artwork from Sean? Will cheer me right up!

6 comments:

Jessica said...

Praying for all.

Laura said...

Chocolate is good medicine. I keep you in my thoughts.

Roxanne said...

You were here in spirit, my friend. As I sit here at my parent's computer, Momma is behind me at the table with my sister making a list of people to whom we will write thank you notes. All of a sudden she said, "Who were you talking to last night when you said, 'Mother has on her gown, Daddy's robe, and a strand of pearls?'"

The answer. . ."Sarah."

I know it was hard on you to not be here, because you loved my Daddy so much. And he loved you.

Jennifer said...

Hi Sarah...thanks so much for visiting me tonight! I looked over your blog a bit and was tickled to see that you have an ACU link in your sidebar...my cousin Mike Stegemoller and his wife went there several years ago :). I went to Freed-Hardeman in TN for about three semesters...but never graduated.
I think that it's awesome that you interpret for the deaf...I don't know ASL, but am trying to learn it...slowly! :)
Thanks for the camera recommendation...that was the exact camera that I had just about decided on...and you've pretty much helped me make up my mind.
I'm sorry about your friend's dad. That had to be hard being so far away...but I know that she knows you love her :)

mindy said...

You won a blog prize! That's so fun!!! And you introduced me to another fun blog to read...just what I needed:)

Anonymous said...

Congrats on winning the AM prize! Ha - I was going for some 2nd prize runner up sort of prize for Most Imagined :)

Still, I'm really hoping for one of Pioneer Woman's prizes...