Monday

Intentionality

"Parents can only give good advice or put them on the right paths, but the final forming of a person's character lies in their own hands." Anne Frank

In relaying this quote to another person, I could remember that it was a well-known female, so I attributed it to Helen Keller. But it's Anne Frank. A child that didn't live to see her 16th birthday. Can you imagine a 15 year old today saying that the final forming of a person's character lies in their own hands? I wish I had known Anne Frank. (I played her mother in a play -- definitely not the same).

We had a wonderful class at church yesterday -- this semester class is about building strong families, with guest speakers each week. Yesterday was about 'raising girls'. I don't know the parents, but I know two of the adult daughters -- and if I can sit at the feet of the parents that raised those two, I'm taking notes. The main thing I walked away with was (again) my favorite word: Intentionality.

They encouraged us to envision where we wanted our children to be by the time we kicked them out of the nest, and take steps to get them there. Have a plan. It seems so simple. It seems like so much of a better way to parent than waiting for a crisis and then reacting. It also sounds like work. It sounds like making parenting your job. Now there's an idea.

Too tired to say much more. The biggest problem for me is envisioning where I want my children to be. I'm not much of a visionary. I have hopes and dreams for my kids -- but specifics? That's tough for me. So that is my current prayer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remarkably, Anne Frank lived without television and the internet. She did have pen and paper, though.

When I nix the TV and internet and gaming around here, even if just for the weekend, it's AMAZING how the boys respond. They read, they discuss what they have read, and they think. They THINK. All on their own. Mind boggling! :)

mindy said...

Good thoughts...it is so easy to just go with the flow and not think things through with intentionality in any part of life. It's easy to focus on the here and now rather than the big picture and where we're headed...but it can be dangerous! I agree good word:)