Friday

Good Question!!

So, as you have noticed by my lack of blogging, my brain is very full of nothingness lately. So full of nothingness, in fact, that the nothingness spills over and turns into nothing being posted on this blog. No apologies, simple fact.

But, Mel at Unretouched Photo invited (crazily enough) her readers to ask her any question about herself they care to.

Um, no, I do not plan to do that here. Actually, you can always ask, but don't hold your breath waiting for much besides "None of your business!!!" But I noticed she got a fascinating question, then I noticed that it was one of my very own faithful readers, Ginger (Ginger used to be faithful when I actually posted thought-provoking posts or even funny posts -- by now I'm sure she has fallen asleep at her keyboard waiting for anything from me -- someone wake her up and tell her she has the imprint of the 'backspace' key on her cheek!)

So Ginger asked Mel: What Bible story disturbs/irks you the most, and why?

Isn't that a fascinating question that would prove great insight into the respondent? Mel's reply was:

Tough question . . . probably the story of Abraham and Isaac. I think I understand the point of the story, but it’s a difficult one for people unfamiliar with theology to comprehend. The story makes God look irrational and cruel, although I believe He is neither.

I chose a different story, but for the same reason: Job.

My "Sarah's paraphrase" of Job 1 and 2:

Job is faithful and loves God with everything he has. One day Satan is wandering the earth (and 1 Peter tells us he does that "looking for souls to devour"). God notices his wandering and says, "Have you considered my servant, Job?"

Let's stop right there. Are you kidding me? Lord, if I am faithful in all my life, please do not reward me by pointing me out to Satan!! Let's keep my faithfulness between You and me, how 'bout?

So Satan says, "Yeah, but he's only faithful because you've given him such a cushy life."

God responds (again, in Sarah's paraphrase), "Bring it on."

Yep, that one disturbs me the most. What about you?

What Bible story disturbs/irks you the most, and why?

6 comments:

AbbieCRAZY said...

Certainly the Job account is crazy! I guess His ways are not my ways, right? Nothing about it makes sense to us. Just give Job some more children - that's fine. Oy!

The first thing that came to mind for me was Rachel and Leah. All this drama and unforgiveness for sons. SONS! One daughter, Dinah, gets a horrible, raw deal later - it's all about the boys. The wives say sleep with anybody so I can have sons! Sleep with me, sleep with her, don't sleep with her, or her - how many years did this go on?

Then look how they grew up, fine upstanding would-be murderers. Could they have been taught all that jealousy from their mother(s) and father!

Roxanne said...

I agree with both you AND Denise on your lists. . .the story that I was most UNCOMFORTABLE with was the Mary/Martha story. . .poor Martha has been bashed from pulpits for nigh unto eternity for doing what women do--cooking, taking care of people, feeding people, multi-tasking--Bad Martha. Bad, bad Martha.

A few years back I was asked to teach a lesson about "the sisters" and was none-too-happy about it, let me tell you. . .then I went digging further into what we know of them.

Certainly Mary chose the better part--and I think that is the lesson to us (women) that we need to be careful about where we choose to put our focus and our worth. . .but after the whole dinner fiasco, Lazarus dies and Martha shows great understanding of exactly who Jesus is.

She doesn't get much credit for that. . .I have decided to wave the Martha banner. . .a biblical example of someone who learned a lesson--and took it to heart.

The THIRD time we see Martha, she's still cookin'--still waiting on people--still serving. But this time, she's not whining, complaining, or tattling (sp?). . .a much neglected story, indeed.

Ginger said...

Here I am, back from traveling for over a week! And before that I was in the void of nothingness myself for quite a while.

For me the toughest story is the one about the woman who had bled for a many years and then touched Jesus's robe hem, and was healed. That one makes me mad/frustrated every time, for personal reasons.

Some other ones that are tough for me: Uzzah, and Ananias & Sapphira, who were knocked dead for disobedience or lying. Sometimes I just want to ask, "What was the REAL story there?"

Anonymous said...

I'm with you: Job is the story that raises the most discomfort in my mind.

Anonymous said...

Go back and read Gen40 about the chief cupbearer and the Baker. I told my husband to read it because I thought it was kind of funny. In verse 7, Joseph asked them why there faces were so sad. They said it was because no one could interpret their dreams. Move on to verse 16 and see what the Bakers future holds. Sadness for him now has a whole new meaning. Y'all probably know this story. I didn't grow up in the church so I am really trying to learn some of the old testament. I always fizzle out after about 2Samuel. Now, I just do a little old with the new. You might not think it is disturbingly funny, but oh well!

Jessica said...

Job is the one that causes me the most distress... in fact, when we spent time studying this a couple of years ago I started to doubt my faith... started to doubt even why I believe... so... yeah, Job is it!