Tuesday

I've Got Nothin'. . .

No deep insights, no ponderings on life. Just getting really cranked and into the Christmas shopping/ decorating season, as well as basketball season (Ashley). Okay, does everyone except for me just pick up dinner when you have basketball practice from 6-7 or from 5:30 -6:30? We can't do that for several reasons (okay, one reason is we can't, the others are we choose not to).
1) Eating out is a luxury for us.
2) Between basketball practice and Wednesday night church, we have Tues., Wed., and Thurs. when we have to be somewhere by 5:30 or 6 p.m. Who wants to eat out 3 nights in a row? Who can afford to?
3) Eating out is a luxury, so I would like it to actually be a luxury. I choose to spend any money I spend on restaurants (I don't ever spell that word right) at a place that is GOOD that I have time to enjoy.

However, I'm sure the basketball-practice-and-church-meeting-powers-that-be would appreciate it if we would splurge for them. We're rarely on time to anything in the evening for that reason. And it doesn't matter WHAT the recipe says -- dinner takes me an hour to make. Period. Don't know why or how to change it, but one hour, start to table. And I DO NOT feel like starting dinner the instant I get home.

Since I'm short on words and insights, I'll leave you with cute. From Scott Meyer's blog:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a 30 minute meal for ya, Sarah. . .nachos.

Brown ground meat and add taco seasoning per package

Have a bag of pre-grated cheese on hand

Throw half a bag of Tostitos round chips on a nacho plate. . .I'm sure you have a Pampered Chef something or other that will do.

Add meat to chips. Add cheese to meat. STick in a 375 oven for four minutes.

voila. Dinner.

We also put sour cream and jalapenos on the table.

I'm sure there is some fancy schmancy veggie that would go with this. I will be woman enough to admit that tonight, there was no veggie to go with the above dish at our house. I was too tired. . .but normally I put out those already cut/cleaned/washed baby carrots and some corn. . .from a bag. . .heated in the microwave.

This should probably go on the recipe blog. . .but I'm already here. Thought it was supposed to be snowin' in Abilene today. People who do not use their blinkers are my pet peeve. Especially on the freeways here in Houston. If you are traveling 75 mph, you need to let me know in which direction you plan to go next.

R--

Anonymous said...

Dear Sarah,

Stick to your guns girl! Keep feeding your kids at home--they'll grow up and have such fond, special memories of being nurtured and cooked for. It's not so much what you feed them (hot dogs, frozen pizza, turkey ham), its that you take the trouble to care for them in that way. They will appreciate it later, I promise. Also, its a good lesson to teach your kids not to depend on fast food to accomodate a hectic lifestyle and to keep dining out as a treat. Plus, you can control what goes into their bodies. Hot dogs are ok, but throw in cut up apples and carrot sticks and at least they've had something healthy. Eating in is a good habit to get into, because, believe me, the ballgames, and practices only get worse in terms of your time and theirs. Cook 2-3 times a week, serve leftovers, bean burritos and frozen pizza, ect. the other nights. We depend on substantial snacks to get us to meal time. Most of the time only 3 of us can sit down at the same time, but we try to as much as possible; the other gets his/her own plate when possible.
I know you know all this, and I just want to motivate you. love, laura