Saturday

I Love New Year's!!

For me, Christmas is always a time to reflect -- what were we doing last year at this time, memories of Christmas' past, ways that our lives are different this year -- and New Year's is a time to look forward. If you notice how I said I like to approach puzzles -- lots of preparation towards work, little actual work -- you can imagine why New Year's is a lot of fun for me. Brand new calendar, brand new year, tons of potential for productivity. I love the idea of a fresh start, new plans.

As a general rule, I don't make resolutions. I do frequently make goals. One of my many goals this year is to learn to speak Spanish. Not necessarily fluently -- I realize that my age makes new languages a challenge! -- but anything beyond "grande nachos" would be better than my vocabulary now.

Many New Years' have come when I was SO hungry for a new start, anything to take away the hurt, misery, or challenges of the previous year. And the next set of hurts, miseries, and challenges reminded me that the calendar doesn't make everything new. Some dear people are spending the dawn of 2006 in the hospital with children who are fighting for their lives. Just a reminder to them that the calendar won't take the nightmare of 2005 away. I just can't imagine -- but I can pray.

Please lift up Jack and Baby Ira frequently in prayer -- and for both sets of parents and siblings.

2 comments:

Tammy M. said...

Hello friend. Killing time at the hospital, thought I would catch up on blogs. Jack is doing well, but can't get him to eat or drink, you are right his tongue has caused him alot of trouble this year. Looks like it will be tomorrow before we head home, Lord willing. Happy New Year big things await us this year.

AbbieCRAZY said...

I have been wanting to learn Spanish for a long time!! Are you listening to tapes or taking a class? It seems so sad that so many people in our town are speaking both and I speak only one.
bueno diaz?