Wednesday

Quiet Christmas Tradition

In backwards order, some answers or discussion: The original singers, yes, The Byrds are who I was looking for. I thought it was the Mamas and the Papas, though I thought Roxanne's guess of Peter, Paul, and Mary was a good one, too. And, yes, Susan, the lyrics came from the book of Ecclesiastes, so I guess we can credit Solomon with the lyrics for that hit song.

Favorite Christmas song right now? Any of them. I'm just starting to listen to my CD's. I really like this one, because Riley loves it and loves to sing along:


And Stephanie mentioned this perennial favorite at my house. Warning: this will STICK inside your head until you will beg for a lobotomy to have it removed.



And too many boxes of Christmas decorations? I think anything more than 5 is getting over the top. And I've got some culling to do to get to 5 -- or I could always buy bigger boxes, adding the bonus that there would be no possible way I would be able to get them out of the attic.

No one at my house wanted to go to the Christmas parade this year and between homework, meetings, and my own achy foot from PT, it was a good thing no one wanted to go I guess. Riley and I did head downtown to hear a friend sing before the parade was to start. I started feeling guilty that I wasn't forcing this Christmas tradition on my family. Then, when I got down there, I realized what a good thing it would be to not go. To help rationalize, this did occur to me: I hate crowds. Everyone in my family hates crowds. Add to that Abilene's downtown has no place for hobbledy folks like me to park anywhere close, I began to wonder WHY I felt the need to drag my family to the crowded place that would make my foot hurt. At some point, our Christmas tradition has included the parade, and if we continue playing in the band, I'm sure it will again. But for now, our more enjoyable traditions include a viewing of 'Elf' together in our jammies, making toffee and peanut brittle together to give as teacher gifts, buying gifts for our 'Giving Tree' at church. And monkey bread Christmas morning. Those are my favorite Christmas traditions for my family right now. Subject to change!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah, The girl in the back row on the right sort of looks like you. Before you play the video. I didn't see the whole thing so I don't know if they show her again. You should have told everybody you rocked it out with Harry. :D

Anonymous said...

My new favorite Christmas song (and I'll bet it's right up Riley's alley) is Dominic the Donkey. Watch the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok5rOO2v2dU) and read about it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominic_the_donkey)