Tuesday

Question for the Day...

Tomorrow is one month since my house troubles began. Thursday is three weeks that we have not lived in our home. Currently in my 800-square foot domicile the TV blares in the other room – it seems there is some sort of military calamity transpiring – while one child next to me will only cease their running monologue narrating life long enough to listen to the chatter of the Gameboy.

After the day I had in Room 24, this is not a relaxing place for me and oh, how I long to run and hide from the auditory assault. But all my punkin’s are here and safe. Talking incessantly, but safe.

I had forgotten, but it is perfectly logical, that it takes way longer to put a house back together than it does to destroy it. And, at my house, it seems we take one step forward on the putting together, but there is always more destruction to be done. There was more concrete dust flying at my house today. I guess there were 3 square inches in the back of the house not covered in concrete dust.

BST asks some great questions on his blog. Not having seen Jeff Walling’s new haircut, I can’t really speak to that one, but I thought this was a great question:

Can people really experience the fullness of joy without walking through intense sorrow?

What do you think?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having observed Jeff Walling's new haircut close hand at Stream Franklin, I can certainly attest that he has a new haircut. Wowzer.

As to the serious question, my first impression would be to say that we can probably EXPERIENCE the fullness of joy without walking through intense sorrow. I clearly remember about 30 years ago thinking that the happiest moments of my life probably come from sitting around a table with loved ones, discussing important and unimportant topics, laughing and crying. That was long before my mother and my father-in-law died horrible deaths, before divorce touched our family, before cancer worked its devastation on the bodies of myself and loved ones, before a monumental business failure, and so many of the other moments of intense sorrow which have made us APPRECIATE the other moments so much more.

At the same time, I also realize that the joy I experience in drawing closer to Jesus brings with it an ever-increasing sorrow that He died the worst death because of MY sin.

Tammy M. said...

I agree with your dad, one can experience the fullness of joy without intense sorrow, but one might take that fullness of joy for granted and not relish each and every moment and be grateful for it. I also think that appreciation comes with age. And I am getting older by the minute.

Roxanne said...

I keep trying to come back to this one, but I cannot string two coherent thoughts together currently. Still thinking.