Saturday

Memories of Poppa Max

I mentioned earlier that I have a list of memories of Poppa Max. This came about when an email from home in late August let me realize that I would not see my Poppa Max this side of heaven. Considering we had a long weekend, it would have been physically possible to go see him, but for a million different reasons, we chose not to.

Obviously, that was a difficult decision for me, and my very wise friend, Donna, encouraged me to spend the weekend resting from my week at school (that seemed to be the general consensus from my teacher friends!) and sharing memories of my Poppa Max with my children. What a great idea, and beautiful way to honor his life.

So I spent that weekend remembering Poppa Max (I haven't yet shared my memories with my kids -- they aren't sticking around a lot these days!) and smiling so much at what I remember. So, join me if you wish, in remembering my Poppa Max. Many of these memories include my grandmother, Maxine, of course. They were each other's lives for 54 years -- and 24 years of my life.

In no certain order, I remember:

  • Wednesday night runs after church to the 7-11 down the street. Mom and dad would talk after church while we loaded up on one candy, one icee, and one comic book. I think, at the time, all of that was $1. AND there were small icees -- maybe 8-10 oz. Those don't exist anymore. We made the 7-11 run every Wednesday night until he had his heart attack in 1980? 1982? and was unable to come to church for a while.


  • The ONE time I remember him being angry with me. (It was on Speed Ave. -- when did they move away?) I couldn't have been anymore than 4 or 5. I have NO idea what I did (I'm sure I was being a complete turkey) but I remember the tone of his voice and my heart being completely broken that I would make him angry. I only remember him angry one other time in my life -- and it was when someone had upset Maxine.


  • INCESSANT whistling, humming, made-up lyrics singing, and change-jingling. It was so constant, I don't think it was nervous -- I think of it as happy noises. Though it did drive me cuckoo on more than one occasion.


  • His booming bass voice singing in church while small children around us stared in open-mouthed amazement and my grandmother rolled her eyes and would lean to me and say, "He is SO loud." I'd trade anything in the world to hear him one more time.


  • More singing -- few people are privileged enough to attend their grandfather's third wedding, but I did. And at the reception he all but took over the microphone and made it his own little karaoke -- when else can you do that but your third wedding when you're 84?


  • Spending Christmas Eves together while he called "little friends" from church as Santa. "Have you been a good girl? Are you going to go to bed on time tonight?" Again, his tremendous bass voice was quite convincing.


  • The thanksgiving not too terribly long ago that he spent playing hide and seek with the kids. Not his own kids, not even his own grandkids, or great grand-kids. They were my cousins (no blood relation to him) children and I, personally, was way too old to be playing hide-and-seek -- so HE really was.


  • The way he kissed my grandmother 'hello' when he came in from playing golf -- which he did several times a week until his body made it too painful for him.
  • Always a Christmas gift for Mitchell, a downs' syndrome gentleman at our church, under the tree.


  • His prayer over me and my precious husband at our wedding (gracious, I'm going to cry now!) "This Troy, who has captured our young Sarah's heart..." sweet, sweet Max.


  • The day he met my Riley for the first time. One of my favorite pictures of both of them.


  • How much Ashley (same day) ADORED him and loved him as a playmate. (I'm pretty sure he's either whistling is singing, "Doody, doo-doo,..." in this picture).


  • I remember few specific times since there were so many, but a "happy" (generous check) from him at just the right time. He is/was all about generosity. He worked hard to get where he is financially, but he has no qualms with sharing what God has blessed him with.

Last week as we remembered and celebrated his life, I learned some new stories and was reminded of old ones. The gentleman that led us in singing during the funeral led "Just a Closer Walk With Thee" and pointed out that it was one of my grandfather's favorites (I had forgotten that). He also mentioned that in Max's life, it was evident that he walked closely with Jesus on a regular basis, so we should all learn from the fact that his constant prayer was to continue walking closer and closer to Jesus. And now that his victory is won, he is walking side by side with Jesus.

What a blessing to have such a legacy in my family tree. I am blessed beyond measure.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

During his last days, I spent a lot of time sitting with him and talking. He didn't say a lot, but he could hear me. A recurring theme of our conversations was how much we loved each other and how proud each of us was of the other. I told him how I couldn't go anywhere in town - the grocery, the gas station, Rotary meeting, etc., without someone telling me how highly they regarded him. I repeatedly told him he is the finest man I've ever known (and I MEANT it), and he liked that a lot.

What an incredible honor to be his son. And oh, how I miss him!

Roxanne said...

I am sitting here with a huge smile on my face--a smile of remembrance--and a smile of honor to have been so included in the Riley doin's for all of these years.

When I was in high school and college--before Maxine got sick and I was still going to visit them regularly--Max would often impart what I called "Westminster Wisdoms."

I am so blessed to have known and been loved by them both. And Mike, I CLEARLY remember your mother standing in her kitchen while I sat drinking a diet Coke telling me how proud she and Max were of you. She said, "You know I love Mike. He's my son, so of course Ilove him. But what I think is more remarkable is that I LIKE him--not because I have to--but because he is so likeable."

I haven't met a Riley yet that was not likeable. :) They have left a wonderful legacy.

Paula said...

I love hearing your stories. He must have been a remarkable person.

AbbieCRAZY said...

OOOOOO, grandparents who take the kids to 7-11! Isn't it incredible that little thing that was yall's tradition sticks with you?

Wonderful stories - I can't wait to meet him and Maxine!

Trina said...

What a tribute! I really enjoyed reading this. My grandfather took us to the Dixie Pig where he taught us to shoot the covers off the straws! Got to Love Grandparents. I am certain that your children will carry bits and pieces of him with them! A great legacy