Thursday

Has School Started Yet?

Some summer numbers for your day:

37 -- average number of times in a day I walk in my laundry room to close the door to the garage that is blasting 107* air into my home

38 -- average number of times in a day my children go through said door, not QUITE getting it shut so that one good gust of 107* air will blow it open

15 -- average number of times in a day you can hear me saying, "(previous response of grunt, "WHAT????", or "I know" with the understood 'duh!') is not the right answer to that. The right answer is 'Yes, Ma'am.'"

16 -- average number of times in a day you can hear me saying, "you can say 'yes, ma'am' without that attitude."

26 -- average number of times in a day I have to deep breathe and remind myself that loud, happy shrieking is better than angry shrieking

3 -- average number of minutes it takes for loud, happy shrieking to become angry shrieking

6 -- average number of times in a day everyone gets sent to their rooms, including mom.

36 -- number of hours until we leave to take little shrieking people to spend a week with Nonna and Gran'dad

5 -- number of nights little shrieking people will spend with Nonna and Gran'dad

2 -- number of little shrieking people that will keep a part of my heart with them all week while they're gone. . .

4 comments:

Anne said...

LOVE it!

And don't forget at my house you can add...12 - Number of diapers changed every day! (at about 25 cents each, that starts adding up quick!?!)

Anonymous said...

hii saw blog in search terms im 15 and thought u could help i just moved to tx do adults expect to hear yes or yes maam when being answered? if so, just when answering a question? sory if im bugging u
april

Anonymous said...

100 -- percentage of total joy that Nonna and Gran'dad feel at the thought of having this particular pair of little shriekers in our home for even a few days!
100 -- fun factor in having two smart, well-read, polite grandchildren for a few days so we can feed them chocolate, buy them shoes, let them stay up too late, and then deliver them to their parents to straighten out the wreckage we cause. Tee hee.

Sarah said...

April -- great question and some moms and I were just discussing it at the pool yesterday. I don't think adults really expect to hear "ma'am" or "sir", but do consider it extremely good manners if you do (some other regions consider it offensive -- as if you are calling the person old). More than anything, I think adults want to be responded to properly: "yes" and "no", instead of "yah" and "nah" or "nope" (some mom yesterday really couldn't stand "nope"!!)

Welcome to Texas!!