Monday

From the Archives: Four Words

(I am taking a bit of a bloggy break this week. I am posting some of my all-time top 5 posts throughout this week. Enjoy)

At the beginning of every year, I hear/ read on blogs some people say, "The Lord gave me my word for the year: xxxx" (no, no one actually uses xxxx. You know.) Anyway, some people spend a year focusing on 3 words.

Last week as 'words' kept cropping up on people's blogs and statuses (stati?) I started praying (remember, I'm going to hear from the Lord?):

"Lord do you have a word for me? I think I may need a word? What about a word? Aren't you going to give ME a word? Come ON already...!! A word!"

Surprisingly enough, the word: Patience ...
came to mind.

But so many other words came to mind over the next week, too. Actually, tomorrow is when I was going to give myself to come up with A word. And I have come up with 4 words. Not because I am an over-achiever, or think I'm better. But for two reasons: a) I really like all words. The more the merrier, I always say. and b) I have many more things to work on. Even if I live to be 100 (I still need to tell you the story of my 99 year old grandmother who wants to buy a Christmas sweater for next year) only working on one word a year is too few.

My 4 words and why they are important to me at this season of my life:
1) Patience: in everything. Listening to the Lord. Waiting on my husband. Waiting for the light to turn green. Waiting on the person with a bazillion groceries to check out. Waiting for the house to sell. Waiting for answers. Waiting on my children. Patience in all things.

2) Humility: This is one of those blessings that comes with the wrinkles and gray hair. Help me to be ready, nay eager to say: "you don't have to do it my way" "but I could be wrong" "what do you think?" "as long as it makes you happy".

3) Gentleness: This will come with humility, I suppose, since my non-gentleness seems to stem from my matter-of-fact-ness: "This is the way it is. Put your happy britches on about it. Move along." Part of that is my parenting gene (and it wouldn't kill me to pour some gentleness into that, either) and part of that is my logical gene. The Spirit needs to smooth out those rough edges in me.

4) Wisdom: So thankful scripture tells us that as we pray for wisdom it will be granted. For instance, if God also grants me humility, how will I know when to stand up with a solid backbone and speak Truth into someone at a difficult time? Wisdom (and love) will have to be over all and in all of these words.
I commissioned my dear (and talented) friend, Abby, to paint this piece.
I commissioned a dear and exceptionally talented friend, Abby, to paint this piece for me. It has survived staging, shuffling, and a move. It still doesn't have a permanent home, but rather is propped on my entry way table. The word I see most prominently as I walk by is "wisdom." Still working on all of those words, though.

Does anyone else use words in a year? I would love to hear yours!
I am currently pondering my 2012 word. I think I have it. Do you have one for 2012? Share!

2 comments:

Donna said...

I, too, have been praying for my "word" for the year. Two years ago, the word was "Hope" and little did I know that by the year's end that was about all we'd have to hold on to...my husband lost his job of over 20 years when the company unexpectedly closed its doors. He tried for months to find something and finally found a job making about 1/2 of what he'd previously earned. It was a very hard year in many ways. The next year the word was "Expectation" and I kept my eyes forward, knowing that good things were coming. It has built as we've neared the end of the year simply because I know 2012 is coming (and that is the year I've been waiting for...not sure why, just know it is.)
The other day on a run, I got my word for this year..."Incredible". Now I can assure you, this is not a word I'd have chosen, but it just kept going on and on in my head. My next blog will be about those words and should be written in the next day or so. I'm just letting that word roll around inside for a couple of days. 2012 is going to be "incredible"....I can feel the excitement building!
Donna
anotherbattlewon.blogspot.com

Sarah S. said...

Oh, Donna! That makes me so excited for your year for you! I can't wait to hear all about it. It also makes me very nervous for my year because of the word I THOUGHT I had chosen. Maybe I should let a word choose me! :-) Stay tuned!