Tuesday

Stealing from Others....

Since I don't have 30-45 minutes to sit down here and update this, I will point you to some other things I have really pondered on of late that I have ripped off of this blog.

Riley and I had a discussion yesterday of doing all that you do "as working for the Lord" (Colossians 3:23) and how using whatever gifts God has given us: our brains, our talents, our creative abilities, to the best of our ability in order to honor God. So today I got this from said blog:

The story is told of a king who went into his garden one morning and found everything withered and dying. He asked the oak tree that stood near the gate what the trouble was. The old oak replied that he was sick of life and was determined to die, because he was not tall and beautiful like the pine. The pine was all out of heart because it could not bear grapes like the vine. The vine was going to throw its life away because it could not stand erect and have as fine fruit as the peach tree; and so on through the garden.

Coming to a little purple violet, the king found its bright face lifted as cheery as ever. 'Well, violet, I'm glad amidst all this discouragement to find one brave little flower. You do not seem to be the least disheartened.''No. I'm really not an important flower, but I believe that if you wanted an oak or a pine or a peach tree or a lilac, you would have planted one; but since I know you wanted a violet, I am determined to be the best violet I can be.'

They who are God's without reserve are in every situation content, for they will do only what He wills and desire to do for Him whatever He desires them to do and be. They strip themselves of everything and in this nakedness find all things restored one hundred fold.

-Charles Spurgeon

Maybe if the stars line up, I will steal something else from that blog tomorrow, but for now, go be the best violet you can be!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being the best we can be usually means we need to love ourselves, forgive ourselves, and be good to ourselves :)

Always I love my boys, unconditionally, but struggle with loving me as much.

I love it when you share stuff like this. Parables are so cool!

Kelly Sessions said...

I am so happy I read your blog today...I hope you dont mind but I put a link to that blog you referenced. When I have time, I will have to check out more of their posts....very inspirational stuff. Hope you are doing well. Thanks for the response on my post...its gonna be hard but I can do it!:) I'll be the best Violet ever:)haha

Roxanne said...

I am trying to GLOW with "purple violetness" of the Roxanne sort RIGHT NOW. :)

Terral said...

I enjoyed reading this Sarah! All I can think of is Violet from the original Willie Wonka. Your turning violet, Violet.

Trina said...

Love the thought. Now, it is not stealing from others IF you give credit where credit is due.
My daughter loves violet. She stands proud!

PJ said...

A great reminder! I love the story. Thanks

"*;*" said...

I love this... I miss reading your emails and powerful quotes.

You can read my blog now if you'd like, it's anonomous, but you know who I am... you just emailed me to tell me to come catch up on your life!