Monday

Life 101

I still remember sliding in the yellow plastic booth at The Pickle Barrel -- a local deli --when it was across the street from the church building. We placed our order and after the waitress told us it would be right out, my dad replied, "Thank you, Karen." Considering my father knows a large portion of Ouachita Parish, I asked, "How do you know her?" "I don't," he replied, "I read her nametag, but I know the sweetest sound in any language is the sound of your own name." The smile Karen produced upon being called by name was a fairly good indicator that he was right.

What a small thing -- to notice a name tag and speak as if the person wearing it is, in fact, a person. But what a huge thing to the person. Maybe we need name tags at the gym. It occurred to me last week -- the impetus for this blog in fact -- that in the two-three years I have been attending the same early morning exercise class at my gym, the instructor has never bothered to learn my name. I'm not bitter. Really, I'm not. :-) But of the 6-8 of us that have been attending faithfully in that time, I'm fairly sure I am the only one that the instructor doesn't call by name, either in greeting or farewell. "Great work, Linda!" "Glad you were here, Mike." "See you next time, Sharon." I get bupkus.

Now, since I'm not 14, I really truly have no issues about this. However, in the winters, when my bed is really warm, and the floor is really not, it's just easier to stay in bed when I know no one will be calling my name or missing me there.

Vann recently mentioned that a waitress where he was dining mentioned, "I'm surprised you remembered my name." It's such a little thing, but so precious.

Not long ago Phil spoke of the story of the man consumed by an evil spirit that Jesus healed. (Mark 5:1-20) Phil pointed out that Jesus first asked, "What is your name?" of a man completely given over to evil. With those words, Jesus reminded us that even people completely consumed by evil still have a name, still have value. And how simple is that sentence to inquire, "What is your name?"

Look for opportunities to use the name of someone who may not expect that you know it. And, if you don't know it, be like Jesus, and simply ask, "What is your name?" Then use it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, how you cutified your blog! The colors, the design, the background - very pro style :)

The bolded text is a little harder to read than 'regular' - but that could just be me.

Anonymous said...

Love the new look, Sarah! :) I can read the bolded text better. I had
no trouble reading the other. This
text stands out better that's all.
Good news about Ashley! :) I understand her crowd shyness 100@.
I am the same way, very private person. Love and blessing's on
your sweet family. Donna Altman

Anonymous said...

Hello Sarah!
I guess I should clarify about the bolded text comment so nobody thinks I'm being critical vs. providing critique :)
I can read the boldface perfectly fine. What I mean is, the regular font is lighter and easier to read with a little speed, or however I need to say it. Regular font reads more like an email, an article, a book...

Boldface is perfectly readable, just a little heavier, microscopically slower. I say this as a student or art and design, from a completely objective perspective. :)

At the end of the day it matters more what the words say than how they look though, and so far I like what the words say :) It's so true about the name thing. There is an independent bookstore in town where the proprietors know me and the boys by name. There was a French bakery where I used to stop on my way to work some mornings for a cappuccino... David, one of the owners, always greeted me by name, even if it had been weeks since I'd been there. When he decided to move one, leaving the bakery in the hands of his business partner, I wasn't greeted by name anymore, and I was so upset I rarely went back after that. Makes a big difference...

Donna Ware said...

Hey, love the new blog look. Very cute and chic. Fits you perfectly.

Donna

Yvonne said...

Love your new look!

Roxanne said...

I love, love, love this post as I love, love, love your dad, and he is SO right. I find that even the most cynical/grumpy/unhappy person is likely to respond nicely to a "thank you" or a "please" or the sound of their own name.

One of the elders at West U used to remember the name of EVERY and I mean EVERY visitor that walked through the door. Even three months later. He was an amazing man.