Monday

Belonging

Shuffling around clutter today, I happened across one of my nametags from a former employer. Besides wondering why I still have it, I started thinking about what it means/ meant. "I'm on the team!" "I belong here!" "I may even know something!" I think it's born with us to be hungry to be a part of something -- meaningful or not. Rabid sports-team fans and over-enthusiastic PTA moms come to mind as folks who are eager to belong and show allegiance.

I think truly, more than losing adult interaction, stay-at-home moms miss being a part of something -- or maybe it was just me. It's so hard to see, in the middle of the diapers and sippy-cups and strained peas, that what you are doing matters to anyone, and you feel completely adrift. Not a part of anyone's team or group -- simply you and your family.

Which is where the glory of our Heavenly Father comes in. Jesus is my brother, the creator of the universe my Father, are you kidding me? How much more 'in' do I need to be? What better group could there be? I wish I could say that is always enough for me. Too often the pull of this world causes me to long for the approval of the group, acceptance by the masses, and applause of the many.

May my focus change and my heart know that only One delights in me, only One knows me fully, only One always welcomes and loves me. And I pray that is enough, and that my life reflects my longing to please Him.

"The LORD your God is with you,
he is mighty to save.
He will take great delight in you,
he will quiet you with his love,
he will rejoice over you with singing." Zephaniah 3:17

No comments: