Monday

Today's Trivia

So last week in 2nd grade we were looking at our Weekly Readers and talking about the kids being out of school today (Monday, 10/9) for Columbus Day. At this point, I have no idea what Columbus Day actually commemorates. Anyone? Anyone? I didn't know if it was Columbus' birthday (like President's Day and MLK day) or when he first landed here, and somewhere in the fuzziness of my brain, I thought it may be when land was first spotted from one of the three ships.

Here is what I have found.

You may resume your usual blogging.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the clarification.

Ya know, I've never been known for my curiosity, and I don't think I've ever wondered just what the day was supposed to commemmorate.

Roxanne said...

I care not. . .the kids were out today, but I had staff development. I think it's amazing that Columbus made it this far from Spain and back again to tell the tale. . .how 'bout we just celebrate sheer moxy, tenacity, adventure, and some great navigational skills. . .I mean, he DID make it back to Europe.

Jessica said...

Thanks for helping us out... I was curious about it too!

Cathy Messecar said...

What? You didn't get your invitation to my annual Columbus Day Bar-b-que. I'm sorry the invite must have gotten lost in the mail. Next year...