Wednesday

Decadent, Defined

At our ladies retreat Friday night, conversation around midnight gathered philosophical depth, as you might imagine, and the discussion turned to Chili Cheese Frito's. Some un-named blog-reader said, "Aren't they simply decadent?"

I laughed aloud and commented that I could not believe that she had used the words 'decadent' and 'Fritos' in the same sentence. Like I have mentioned, I wondered if decadent could really be applied to Frito's. True confessions: I have only heard the word 'decadent' applied to desert, so I assumed it meant it was a sweet indulgence. Oh, I was so far off the mark.

I looked it up last night. The most common definition was "in a state of decline or decay." I stand corrected -- Chili Cheese Frito's are truly decadent! We evidently use it to describe desserts and ultra-yummies because it also means, "a state of moral decline leading to self-indulgence."

I'm no Rhodes scholar, but I'm thinking that if I write a menu, I won't call anything decadent!

5 comments:

Cary said...

Sarah, I have been on the "decadent" soapbox for years. I see it used in commercials, in print, as names for certain things (usually chocolate desserts), etc. Very few seem to have done what you did and actually look at the real definition. Decadent ≠ good!

Roxanne said...

Well, they probably are decadent seeing as how they lead to the "moral decline" of one's diet. If not decadent, I claim guilty to finding them addictive. Never had a Chili-Cheese Frito until I married that man but now. . .moral decline, indeed!

R--

LiteratureLover said...

Okay, I'll admit, I'm one of those people who has used "decadent" attached to many things assuming it meant "good". Guess I should have looked it up. Thanks for shedding the light!

Heth said...

Wow! I learn somethin' new everyday! I knew this internet thing was good for SOMETHING!

Michelle- This One's for the Girls said...

We saw that word on a dessert ad at Applebee's one time and my son asked what it meant. I said in my most uppity voice: "Ooohh-- it means SINFULLY delicious."

The rest of the evening was a discussion on how ANYTHING could be sinfully delicious. Fun times.