Sunday

Summer Reading. . .

I polled some friends, did some of my own research and have officially started on my 'summer reading list'. I have already finished two that were recommended to me by some of the 'coffee gals'.

"The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold. Begins with the murder of a 14-year old girl -- then told from her perspective in 'her heaven' as she watches her family deal with the grief and horror of it. A page turner, and you can't put it down, but VERY dark. Just real people dealing with real horror.

"gods in Alabama" by Joshilyn Jackson. It DOES have a great first line, Denise (my friend from Alabama that recommended it to me), but if I put it here, my own filter will keep me from reading my blog! :-) I'll try this: "There are gods in Alabama: Jack Daniel's, high school quarterbacks, trucks, big t*ts, and also Jesus." Good book -- after reading "The Lovely Bones" it was still a bit dark for me. Great ending. More real people and real families.

I can't decide what to start on next -- Tammy is telling me I MUST read the Harry Potter series (I've now officially read 3 pages -- not bad -- but Riley keeps taking it from me). I started in on a book by Carol Higgins Clark - Mary's daughter. Bad, bad, very bad. I've got "The Outlander" that Denise told me about -- some sort of time traveling, bodice busting book she told me about! :-)

So, tell me what you would read this summer if you were going to spend big chunks of time around the pool? And, if you need a book to read, I still say that Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series is HYSTERICAL (they all have numbers in the title -- start w/ 'One for the Money'). Just so much fun.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah,
here is what's on my nightstand, maybe you like some of it for your summer reading:

84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff

Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe

and one that I have already read, but is wonderful is
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Other than that, I don't know yet. But- I doubt I have large chunks of time around the pool :).

We are thinking of getting one of those big above-ground pools for our backyard, we'll see...
We just celebrated Ben's 2nd birthday with your parents, Poppa Max and Mamaw, they just left- we had a great time.

Much love, Verena

Anonymous said...

I just finished SisterChicks on the Loose! It was a good easy going read and I enjoyed it. Of course, I had just finished reading 3 of the Lone Star books for next year so a book with an adult type plot was good. If you have not read any of the Francine Rivers books, mom donated them to the church library ( I think). They are wonderful!! Redeeming Love is my favorite.
Trina

Anonymous said...

Hey! I also recommended The Red Tent. This book is fantastic view of Old Testement culture. It starts with the assumption that Jacob worshipped I AM but his women didn't. They continued in idol worship and had little use for I AM.

Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood. I just finished Ya-Yas in Bloom and it had more about the adult kids.

The Secret Life of Bees - GREAT!

Anonymous said...

(There's more-I pushed the wrong button)
The Mermaid Chair also by Sue Monk Kidd Very different from Secret Life

The Virgin Blue story of a famous painting by the same author of The Girl with the Pearl Earring

I'll be reading Huckleberry Finn for my book club and I would love to discuss it with anyone else.

Go forth and read!!! It's very good for your brain
Denise

Anonymous said...

Okay, all your friends recommended books that I have read and liked. The Secret Life of Bees was the one I was going to tell you. My pastor's wife is encouraging me to read Believing God by Beth Moore. One that I really liked this year too is called Running With Scissors. Sidesplitting hilarious, but also pretty sad and morally questionable.

Anonymous said...

Hey,

well I've thought about this and came up with 3 books I've read within the past year or so and think that you'll get something out of: 1) Angry Housewives Eating BonBons (not Christian fiction, but meaningful); 2) The Sweet Potato Queen's Book of Love (trashy, but hilarious-a girl-power book); and 3) To Kill a Mockingbird (a must read for any adult even if you read this as a teenager--takes on a whole new meaning.
I hope you enjoy your summer and that we can meet at the pool someday and chat and catch up. Love, Laura